Sunday, July 17, 2011

Headlands 50M






I had a hard time sleeping the night before the Headlands 50m. After DNF'ing on my first 50m attempt, I was anxious and worried if I could do it. Besides, I didnt feel that my training was ideal. It had been 4 months since my last 50k, and only one short Double Dipsea race in between. I had a few training days that approached 20 miles, some weeks of 40-50 miles, but nothing that resembled like a typical 50 mile training plan.


It was a foggy and drizzly day...I was happy that it wasnt going to be hot. I met Dan, Clif, and Jarod at Starbucks and we carpooled down to the start line by 6:30. Clearly this was a different crowd. The runners appeared to be more experienced, and fit than other races. At the starting line the announce asked how many people were running their first 50 miler...I raised my hand along with maybe 5 others. That was a little intimidating.


We were off. It was hard not to run up the climb up Wolf Ridge on my fresh legs. I was amped, full of energy, trying hard to pace myself. I was aiming for a 11 hour 30 minute finish (13:44 avg pace) based on the middle of the pack results of the previous year. I find that its important for me to have a goal.


I cruised into Tenesse Valley in about 42 minutes (almost 15 minutes ahead of schedule). I know this was a little fast, but I took it easy on the climbs and tried to run effortlessly yet efficient..I tried to eat as much Pay day bars, chips, cookies, and gummy bears as I could. I felt good as I headed to Muir Beach through the Pirates cove trail. The mist was so heavy at this point that my hat was dripping of moisture and the trail was muddy and sticking to my shoes. I had to constantly scrape them off to keep them from being 10 pound weights.


I fuled up at Muir beach then turned around back up the Muir Beach slog toward Coyotte Ridge. My legs began to get fatigued as I made my way back into Tennese Valley the second time. I slowly made my way up Marincello then down to the Golden Gate bridge, then back to Rodeo...I completed my first loop! I stopped for a few minutes, drank a Red Bull and slowly shuffled back towards the Golden Gate. Halfway up the Miwok trail, I saw Clifton descening down to the end of his Marathon. He told me about how Jarod was doing, how he had sprained his ankle but wasnt far behind him. We exchanged hi fives and moved on. I saw Jarod about 20 minutes later. He looked tired physically but was in amazing spirits...He knew he was giving it his all despite his sprained ankle (at mile 7!) and that he was about to complete his first marathon. Jarod passed towards his descent to the finish and I continued on.


I was feeling exhausted coming out of Golden Gate for the second time. Flies and bees were crawling all over the food at the aid station, and everything was wet from the hours of mist. But I pressed on. When I finally made it to the top near Marincello going down to Tennesse Valley, I caught a second wind and picked up my pace. I was feeling great and I knew I would be able to bag this race. I cruised through Tennesse Valley then Muir Beach...I was slowing down. It was gruling going up Muir Beach and the Pirates Cove stairs, but I managed to run from the top of Pirates cove back to Tennesse Valley without walking.


I was surprised to be greeted by my family. Ethan and Kirstin ran to me and hugged me. I was encouraged and excited. By this time, it was 10 hours into the race. I had an hour and a half to make it back to Rodeo Valley. By this time I was hoping to make it by the 11 hour mark, which meant I had less than an hour to make it back. On fresh legs, this would be easy, but my legs were shot. I made it to the top of Wolf Ridge and there was 15 minutes left! And I had a hard time running down hill. When I got toward the bottom, still 200 yards away, I heard the megaphone say you have 3o seconds. Somthing came over me...I felt a ton of emotion, joy, and determination. I had to do it. I just had to. I sprinted for the 200 yards, everyone was watching and chearing me on...I did it, 10 hours 59 minutes and 59 seconds. People gave me high fives, it was awesome....I will never forget that time.

No comments:

Post a Comment