Saturday, October 8, 2011

Dick Collins 50 Miler

Ok I learned something today. Careful on making time goals on races over 50k in length when you don't really know what you are thinking. I made an unrealistic goal of 9 hours and 30 minutes which I assumed I could do....well let me get back to that.

I got to Lake Chabot, the start of the race, with about 20 minutes till start time. I headed straight to the bathroom...where there was a line out the door 15 people deep. I had no choice but to wait...trust me I had to wait. I still had to register, go back to my car, take off my jacket, apply sunscreen...lets just cut to the chase and say I made it to the start line with no seconds to spare.

Everything seem to be going great. The course was not that steep in the beginning. Aid stations were numerous and well stocked. Life was good. Until about mile 22 or so. I started to get tired and the turn-around aid station at Tilden park seemed like it was taking forever to appear. I had never run in this area so I never knew where I was.

It was at this time that a dark cloud began to hover over me. (This is where you play a sad tune on your little violin). This dark cloud of negativity, exhaustion, and depression I believe happened because I knew there was no way that I was going to reach my time goal AND I was supposed to go on a date with my wife (and I only had a 3 hour window when the kids were being watched) AND I just plain hated life, wanted to quit, wished I could go home AND (violin gets sadder) I had 25 MILES TO GO and at my pace at that time I was looking at 12 or 13 hours AND I had an uphill from Hell that I swear was 25,000 feet tall. OK maybe not that tall. Seriously though I was not in a good place. for the next 15 long slow miles.

Then after a nice unexpected bowl of soup at an aid station and the realization that I was only 10 miles away, and the course was getting easier...my spirits lifted..but I was still slow...like a grandmother with a walker slow. Old men and ladies were passing me as I shuffled along on the flat trail. Then after a pizza and more soup...a song on my IPOD came on...from Daughtry...called "There and Back Again"...It has this amazing energy and the lyrics were just what I needed to hear...I got a rush of endorphins and adrenaline and I was amped. I went from a 12:30-15:00 pace to a 7:45-8:30 pace for the last 8 miles....which is a long time....I passed a ton of people and charged up hill, it was awesome..

I finished at 10:43 or something like that....not a great time but a 50 miler pr...but more importantly a great finish....Yes it IS 90 percent mental 10 percent in your head...



Replace, replace that line


that spoke to you


But showed no signs to be alive.


So are you living or dead?


You have made a choice to hear your voice


Or hold on to what they said.


Now shine. Here is your moment to shine. Shine.






No comments:

Post a Comment